Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Santaland!




I never announced this on Dear Jane, I don't think, or I don't recall. But I got a job at Macy's Santaland this holiday season. This has definitely been a bucket list item for me. For those who don't know, Macy's originated the sitting on Santa's lap tradition. I first fell in love with the idea of Santaland my junior year of high school when my English teacher played part of David Sedaris' NPR special. Click the link to listen to the first part, there are four total. This was also converted into a one man show.

I originally applied to be a Support and/or Sales Elf, because that's the ad I saw on Playbill. My interview was scheduled for 8am at Macy's Herald Sq. and there had to be about a hundred people there. They corralled us into a large room to wait for interviews, we were greeted by the man in charge of the Santaland department, who had started out at Macy's as a Santa. They told us they were going to do one on one interviews, and I have to say, I am really impressed by that. There were three managers, two had a list of everyone's names, and the other just pointed and picked. I was the first one he picked. Since he didn't know my name I gave him my resume, and he immediately said, "Oh you're and usher?" And then he offered me a position at the Santaland Puppet Theater, as an usher. My life is ushering.

So, despite what David Sedaris said, they didn't even do a background check. I start training tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment