Saturday, October 8, 2011

First Post: My dive into blogging.

Hello Everyone (or no one)!

I "created" this blog, Dear Jane, many many moons ago.  I did it just because I could and really didn't plan on blogging anything.  From my perspective, personal blogs have replaced journal/diary writing and I think it's kind of weird that people would share everything with the Internet.  It makes sense for companies and self-employed folks to use blogs to keep everyone updated on their actions.

Three hours ago I decided I should start blogging.  Why?  Very good question.  Here's my somewhat hypocritical answer:  I'm not unemployed, but it feels like it.  I have a lot of time on my hands, and I want to use that time to improve any skills that I can.  Blogging is a skill.  Here I am.  Through blogging I will develop general blogging skills and I hope my writing skills will improve too, if anything they won't deteriorate. 

I have spent almost every waking hour of the day since August 5, 2011 writing cover letters and interviewing.  I am attempting a career in the arts in New York City, and as a recent graduate I face a lot of competition.  The Occupy Wall St. protests began the day I was hired for my (extremely) part time ushering job.  If you don't know what Occupy Wall St. is, you need to educate yourself.  You click that link!  I feel less alone in my job search.   

Anyway, I have felt the need to break the monotony of cover letter writing.  It's becomes more difficult by the minute to write a unique letter.  I've begun going to my local library.  It's shiny and new with some awesome chairs, but kind of seriously lacks full shelves.  Fortunately for me their this or that for idiots and dummies section is rather large.  My goal is to spend my mornings in the library reading up on a new skill, when there are only old people, and spend my afternoons in my bedroom writing cover letters.  It works this way because most jobs are posted around noon or later and children start getting released from school around 2pm.  They like to use the large computer area to play World of Warcraft and other first person shooter/role playing type games.  I'm reteaching myself Spanish (I'm Cuban for those of you unaware, and back in the day Spanish was the only language I knew) and Italian.  I've also been reading the Idiot/Dummy books on computer software because I'm interested in a Marketing career path.  And this brings us full circle to why I started blogging.

And just a small (probably also hypocritical) story on the name of this blog, which I chose when I created it, whenever that was.  One of my hobbies is pen palling, and my first (and longest lasting) pen pal is Ms. Jane Kavanagh.  She's a family friend on my father's side; our families have been friends since 1903, when her mother and my grandfather were pulled around the Brooklyn neighborhood of Ditmas Park in a radio flyer wagon.  Jane happens to be one of my heroes.  I aspire to be like her.  Whenever I write her a letter, I am writing a diary entry; she knows all of my deepest thoughts and most secret of secrets.  And that's why I named this blog Dear Jane.  If you don't remember what I said in my first paragraph, go look.  But I'm going to let you know right here and now, you won't be getting my deepest thoughts or most secret secrets on this blog.  

And I haven't quite decided if I'll start every post with "Dear Jane" and/or end it with "Love Katherine" or something like that.  If you are an actual person actually reading this, please let me know your opinion.

Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment